Thursday, September 10, 2015

Jacob 2 months old, Logan 21 months old

I can't believe (Justin always makes fun of me when I say that...) that Jacob is 2 months old already! We are all doing about as well as we can be. School has started, and I'm not there! It's kind of weird, but I am so thankful for the chance to stay home with our boys. I like to think that I make our evenings more relaxing since I have done all of the daily "chores" during the day. When I was working full time, we would have to do more "chore stuff" during the evenings.

So, backtracking a little... at the hospital, the morning after Jacob was born, they performed a hearing screening on him and he failed it. So, they gave him the test again the morning that we left the hospital and he failed it again, in both ears. Justin and I were bummed and it felt like there was a little black cloud over us the day we took him home.... not at all the feeling you want to have bringing your otherwise-healthy little boy home. They said that it could just be fluid in the ears, or it could potentially be permanent hearing loss. Thinking that you could have a deaf child, is something that I had never give any thought to. And suddenly, it was all I could think about. Fluid in the ears, which would be the best case scenario, is more common in premature babies (he was late), it's more common to have fluid in only one ear (he failed the test in both ears) and more common for a c-section (he was natural birth). So, that made me think, there was a larger chance that he was deaf. Justin and I prayed about it and didn't really tell anyone because there wasn't anything that could be done yet, and I didn't really want to talk about it, because it could also be nothing! We scheduled a follow-up appointment for one month later, giving any fluid the chance to loosen up and come out. (They wouldn't schedule the appointment any earlier.) Well, for the first 5-7 days of his life, he didn't startle to anything. Finally, he startled at his one week appointment when I coughed in the doctor's office- PRAISE GOD. I can't tell you how much hope that startle gave me. Then, a day or two later at Molly and Vince's for family dinner, Jacob startled at Jackson playing with a sword. And then, at the Fair, Jacob startled to an ice bag being dropped at the Mayo's cabin. These are 3 of the times that stand out in my mind. Justin and I would just always smile at each other whenever he startled. I never knew that I would be so happy at anyone waking up a newborn, but I always was so glad that first month, when he woke up to noise! People would say, "Oh, be quiet, there's a baby sleeping", and I was thinking, "No, please be as loud as you want, I want to see if he wakes up:-)". By the time the one month appointment came along, I felt pretty sure that he had almost all of his hearing.... and he basically did. We have to go back in a week or so because he couldn't hear the very lowest pitch in his left ear. They said that an adult probably wouldn't even notice. So, thank You, God. This experience is helping me to never take our health for granted.

Moving on.... a few Friday mornings ago, I was nursing Jacob on the couch and I heard Logan in the front playroom, "reading" books to himself. I just smiled and thanked God. My heart is so full being the Mama to these two sweet boys. I'm also so grateful that nursing is going more smoothly with Jacob than it did with Logan.

Jacob was crying the other day and Logan went to a different room to get Jacob a blanket. My heart just swells when he does sweet things like this for his brother. I feel like Logan is so sweet-natured. He also has this little twinkle in his eye that just gets me every time!

I've had some lunch dates with my two boys at First Watch and Chipotle which have been fun.... except when you somehow squirt hot sauce in your eye at Chipotle. I was such a mess. Phew, that was painful!!!

Logan LOVES playing basketball, golf and kitchen. Logan's run is more like a frolic! So cute and funny at the same time.

Last Friday night, Justin was doing a Fantasy Football Draft at the kitchen counter, Jacob was asleep in a little lamb seat, and Logan was playing blocks and I was reading a book for fun. It was a semi-rare moment, where both boys were content on their own. It was such a peaceful moment. It probably only lasted 5 or 10 minutes, I forget, but I remember being so grateful.

On Labor Day, Justin put out the sprinkler and he and Logan were running through the sprinkler screaming. So fun!

I took both boys to the pool by myself last week. It was all fine and dandy until Jacob woke up and wanted attention. I had two different people offer to help me, and that's when I thought that maybe I should head home. We stayed for 2 hours, which was the best I could hope for. Logan would have loved to have stayed a little longer.

Justin and I have started to workout. We are in our 3rd week and staying strong so far. We both always lose motivation, but I'm hoping to stick to it because we are headed to Christy and Dan's wedding in Grand Cayman in November and I want to feel good and fit while I'm there!

Jacob's 2 month stats:
**Will update after his appointment next week.
Blood type: A-

Jacob's one month pic :-)

"I love yogurt!!!"

Logan and Uncle Vince

Blake and Jackson with a baby snake!

Riding the tractor at Grammy and Pop Pop's house

Grandma Bev and Grandpa Vic

B-ball player at heart

Logan and Colton will be up to no good in no time!!

Kickball at Grammy and Pop Pop's... such a fun day!

Riding around with Logie

Logan and Emmy (she is 6 weeks younger)

Jacob and Caroline (She is 2 months older)

This is a typical morning view for me.... can't beat it!

Exploring at Highbanks Park... was beautiful weather that day!

Anniversary Party for Mom and Bill

Anniversary Party for Mom and Bill... was fun to get dressed up :-)

Family Picnic- KFC style... so fun!

Fire at the pond

Swimming with the Martins... Liam, Lisa, Em and Jacob

Liam, Matt, Lisa, Logan and Justin.... Justin did a back flip and I did a front flip of the board.... we still got it ;)

My handsome bedhead fella

Logan loves being a big brother.

Supporting Jacob in his tummy time!

Library storytime

Just look at this guy!

Mimi and Logan

Logan driving a combine

Logan and Justin

Learning about gardening at a little Ecological Center near our house.

Harper and Logan... best buds. So grateful to have her as a neighbor. They are just the cutest playing outside together.

All my boys!

Tummy time!

Logan reading to Jacob.

Jacob!

I snapped this real quick as proof that I had both boys at the pool!

Running with a new friend, Stephanie. I joined a Moms' Running group on Facebook and have run with several different women in just the last week. I love it!

Girls' night out!
Barrett, Katie Sprinkle, Katie Kerscher, Em
Randi, Ash Myers, Ash Steinhauer and Cami

Logan and Harper playing with Jacob's toy, haha!

Grammy and Logan

Jacob, Logan and Em

Logan loved playing by the trees at Grammy and Pop Pop's

Grammy's 60th birthday!

All the kids loved the slip 'n slide!

Logan and Colton

Uncle Jesse driving around with Lanna, Ellie, Logan and Colton

Happy Birthday Grammy!

1st Buckeye Game of the year!

Buckeye Family!

Logan playing at the library

Logan and Pepper

Jacob smiling. He's been smiling more and more, and I'm usually too busy chasing Logan to capture a good smile, so this is the best I have (took it this morning).

No comments:

Post a Comment